Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Crying Over Spilled Milk

Anyone that has ever pumped milk from their breasts so that their child could have this precious nectar of life can understand that this liquid is to be treated in a reverential way. You don't leave it on the counter when pawing through the fridge for something to eat. You don't just toss a frozen bag in the diaper bag when you go out. While you don't necessarily pay homage to it... okay, you pretty much do. You put it away in the freezer and hoard it, like liquid gold. Not only does it represent your good mommyhood, it also represents peace of mind and freedom. And anyone that has ever exclusively breastfed a baby will know exactly what I mean.

Unfortunately, my trove is all used up. This photo is a picture of some of it before I went back to work, along with the extraction torture device, er I mean breast pump.


I'm at the point where I can barely stay ahead of the appetite. I've usually got enough in the morning put away for that day, but no more, and usually I have to stay up 'til 2am to even make that much. Anyway, so today I had a full day's worth ready in the fridge for my babysitter. I came out of my room (I'm working from home) around mid-morning to get a drink and I see all of the milk containers Empty on the counter.

HORROR. SHOCK. BOGGLING. Not-quite-passing-out.

I staggered back to my room in a daze (yes, I'm exaggerating a little, but my loyal readers need to understand the magnitude of this). By lunch-time I'd composed myself enough to come back out and hear the story. Apparently the nipple/ring wasn't screwed onto the first bottle enough so about half of it leaked out while she was feeding him. Since he was still hungry she warmed up another bottle and the nipple wasn't pulled all the way through the ring, so a whole bunch more spilled out onto the floor.

I always thought the saying, "Don't cry over spilled milk," was a little silly, because what's the big deal about wiping up some milk?

Now I know that spilled milk is a TRAGEDY, and I'll let you know when I'm done crying about it.

6 comments:

Andrea :) said...

I am crying for you, literally. I know how precious that milk is! I, too, never thought I would cry over spilt breast milk, but I did. I totally feel your pain!

Lahdeedah said...

ahhhhhhh

Tragedy.

Amanda said...

Oh no.

No no no.

Seriously. NOOOOOOOOO!

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. Someone didn't close our freezer all the way one night, and in the morning...all my milk was thawing. I cried. Nevermind the food that we lost...I was devastated about the milk.
Breast milk is liquid gold!!

Lahdeedah said...

and I just HAVE to do this...

I know it's childish. And immature.


ready?



Moooooo Moooommmmmma Moooooo

Swistle said...

Oh, DEFINITELY. The not crying over spilled milk only refers to COWS' milk, which comes effortlessly (well, for us; the cows may feel differently) in gallons from the store.