Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Meatrix

I've always had the impression that vegetarians are a little off their rockers. Why give up perfectly good food over animal issues that government agencies have under control? And why spend so much more money on "organic" foods? Only snobs would do that.

I just discovered today that I'm completely wrong. My DH (dear husband) would say, "Everyone in the country knew about this issue but you." I was innocently browsing some websites about natural gardening and came across a link to www.themeatrix.com. It was on a message board and someone asked if it was true that they really cut the beaks off live chickens. I was completely disbelieving, so I watched it. It's a very informative, non-gross, non-threatening cartoon. Watch it if you get a minute. After I watched it, I looked at a few more sites. The ones with the real photos.

It's awful. I'm not a flag-waver or a demonstrator or a protestor. But I did spend a year trapping feral kittens and taming them because I felt so bad for them living outdoors. What "factory farming" does to uncounted farm animals is so far bad beyond that that I can't even stand to think about it.

I haven't even researched to the part yet about how to avoid giving any of my money to the companies involved in this, but I know I won't voluntarily buy anything that contributes to them if I can help it. I don't understand why there isn't more coverage about this. Is there, and I just didn't know? Why doesn't the government put a stop to it?

I want to go and let all of the baby cows out of crates and take them back to their moms. And I want to let all of the chickens outside and let them have eggs that hatch and turn into little broods of chicks for them. I feel so bad for all of them.

Doh! My boss just walked in and thank goodness I wasn't crying, but I had to blink a few times before I looked at him.

Stupid asshole corporations that give us what we will pay for without telling us the real price. For a while I was thinking they should all get shot, but now I think they deserve the same kind of treatment they give their animals.

4 comments:

Lahdeedah said...

So, the government makes a crap ton of moolah off this industry, they aren't going to be shutting them down for animal cruetly. It's not a political hotspot. We're still fighting cruelty to one another, and that takes up so much of our time, we can hardly get around to caring about animals just yet.

So... I'm tagging you as a wood elf, right?

Anonymous said...

Yup,

If we had an actual government of the people, they'd look at issues like this and regulate them in accordance with societies values.

We don't currently enjoy that - we have a government for the corporate - bought and paid for.

On the bright side, I hear New Zealand's nice.

-Walt

Lahdeedah said...

New Zealand's sheep are all natural and get to live out their days happily before they become mutton.

RainyPM said...

Aren't there a lot of hobbits in New Zealand too? Sounds like a nice place.